A ‘Grab and Go’ grocery
Fredericksburg Farmer’s Market is tentatively planning to reopen May 7 with a curbside-like option.
With so much uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the farmers’ market was unable to open on its scheduled April 23 date. But they were recently given the go-ahead to operate from the City of Fredericksburg, said Mark Mazur, marketing and operations manager for the farmers’ market.
“We asked the city if we can operate as just a grab-and-go grocery and they said that was permissible,” Mazur said. “They were very good in working with us to allow us to get produce to our customers.”
The farmer’s market will take place at Marktplatz every Thursday from 5-7 p.m., but it might look a bit different. Shoppers won’t be able to sit and enjoy wine and fresh food like usual. They can only shop for what they need and check out as they would at a grocery store.
“We really do want to support the community and offer fresh produce,” Mazur said. “Sometimes, the grocery stores have what people are looking for, but sometimes they don’t and we do have it.”
Mazur noted this could change if the city and state adopt new guidelines.
To help shoppers continue practicing social distancing, Mazur said the farmers’ market will offer a “curbside approach.”
“We are posting every vendors’ contact information on our website and our Facebook page so that customers can call them directly, ask for certain produce to be picked up at the market or, as always, customers can shop the produce on hand” he said.
There will be no surcharges for this service. While it’s like curbside in that it allows shoppers to get out quicker, it will be up to the vendors to bring the groceries out to their vehicles.
This year, Mazur said the market will have about 16 vendors. Those businesses are listed below:
Farmer’s Market vendors
• Hillside Beef - 210-323-6510; email@example.com
• Agarita Creek Farms - 830-992-5283; firstname.lastname@example.org
• Engel Orchards - 830-990-5064; email@example.com
• CKC Cheese - 830-822-6175; firstname.lastname@example.org
• Bakery JoJu - 830-992-1963; Bakeryjoju@gmail.com
• Hairston Creek Farms - 512-391-9328; email@example.com
• Other Mother Vinegar - 830-998-1889; firstname.lastname@example.org
• URBANherbal - 830-456-9667; email@example.com
• Wahoo’s Seafood Co. - 830-992-1948; Pgatourrat@gmail.com
• Mikey’s Garden - 830-238-3269; firstname.lastname@example.org
• Zanzenberg Farm - 830-928-4261; email@example.com
• Jenschke Orchards - 830-998-7822; firstname.lastname@example.org
• Enchanted Mushrooms - 325-248-8894; email@example.com
• Reverse Pioneers - 512-840-9902; firstname.lastname@example.org
• Wild and Well Kombucha Co. - 214-912-1587; email@example.com
• Windmill Meadow Farm - 830-992-8411; firstname.lastname@example.org